For more than 100 years, the American Association of Family & Consumer Sciences (AAFCS) has provided leadership and support to professionals whose work assists individuals, families, and communities in making informed decisions about their well-being, relationships, and resources to achieve optimal quality of life. As an affiliate, the vision and core values of NCAFCS are aligned with AAFCS, as follows:
Individuals, families, and communities are achieving optimal quality of life assisted by competent, caring professionals whose expertise is continually updated through AAFCS.
To provide leadership and support for professionals whose work assists individuals, families, and communities in making informed decisions about their well being, relationships, and resources to achieve optimal quality of life.
North Carolina Affiliate
Without any way limiting the foregoing, but in expansion thereof, the Association shall:
- Improve and strengthen education in Family and Consumer Sciences
- Establish and improve standards of service and scientific research in the public interest in Family and Consumer Sciences
- Sponsor and otherwise support seminars, debates, symposia, conferences, and similar professional discussion in Family and Consumer Sciences
- State and disseminate policy for professional guidance at the state and national levels concerning the public interest in Family and Consumer Sciences
- Identify and study social, economic, and psychological changes having implications for Family and Consumer Sciences programs, and bring these changes to the attention of the Family and Consumer Sciences profession and the public
- Encourage and promote a sufficiently full and fair exposition of the pertinent facts involving legislation affecting Family and Consumer Sciences and the improvement of home and family life so as to permit an individual or the public to form an independent opinion or conclusion
- Promote liaison and other cooperative professional activity with groups having related concerns in behalf of the public interest in Family and Consumer Sciences.
A Brief History
The North Carolina Association of Family and Consumer Sciences is recognized as “the comprehensive and integrative source of knowledge and the primary voice focusing on family, individual and community well-being.”
As a state affiliate of the AAFCS, the North Carolina Association of Family and Consumer Sciences is to effect the optimum well-being of families and individuals by:
- Empowering members to act on continuing and emerging concerns;
- Focusing the expertise of members on critical issues; and,
- Assuming leadership among organizations with mutual purposes.
More About Us